Want me to notify you when I add new material?

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Oakland Ballet Folds

After more than a year of financial struggles the Oakland Ballet announced today that the company will be closing its doors. One of the older ballet companies in the state of California the Oakland Ballet just marked its 40th year as a professional company.

The announcement, while unexpected, does not come as a complete surprise. The company was forced last year to end its season short due to financial difficulties. Administrators raised over $500,000 in the spring and summer of 2005 to pay off debts and to get the company ready for the 05-06 season.

Laura Casey of the Alameda Times Star wrote this about the company’s closure,
"After 40 years of presenting top-notch performances, the Oakland Ballet announced Tuesday it is dissolving as an organization because of poor ticket sales and the loss of its performance space.

The decision to shut down was made by the ballet's board at a special meeting Jan. 26. The ballet's seven employees were told of the closure Monday and its dancers will be told today."


Read more on Oaklands Closure at the SF Chronicle, or Oakland Tribune
Pictures from the SF Chronicle and Oakland Ballet

1 Comments:

Anonymous Ariel said...

Hey Edward, I got your comment on my blog. I think "Valse Fantasie" is going to be the version with just one guy--that's so cool that you've performed it before! I'm not sure who's going to set it though...hmmm...

This is the second time they are doing it, Dione and I watched the tape last night of the previous one, and I'm super fond of the coreography!

Keep up the good work with your blog, I like to read it.

10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home